Wednesday, November 18, 2009

We Are All Equals: On Gay Rights and Gay Marriage

*Article: Same Sex Marriage, Civil Unions, and Domestic Partnerships*

I grew up in a pretty small town that is only two miles by four miles in size and has a population of just under 25,000 people. It is the farthest South on the map of the U.S. and is geographically an island. This city, although small and quite removed, has taught me that everyone is equal, whether gay or straight, black or white, man or woman, rich or poor. This town is called Key West, Florida and within its small boundaries, has a whole community of gay and lesbian individuals. They are politicians, educators, entertainers, business professionals, and fulfill an array of positions in town. I have grown up viewing all gay and lesbian people as equal and no different than a straight person. So in my mind, it is baffling for people to try and tell these people that they cannot have the same rights and privileges as their straight neighbors. Why is it that they can make a difference on a political standpoint in schools or that they can be the head-chef at the best restaurant, yet in their personal lives they are unable to marry the person they love just because they are the same sex as them.

In many of the articles I read on gay rights and gay marriage, it seems that our country is trying very hard to make moves on this issue. Gay rights activists are becoming louder and louder on these issues and politicians are beginning to feel the pressure to make changes on current legislation. The Northeast U.S. is leading the movement, but throughout the other States it is still only a battle in its early stages. Gay marriage is not the only issue being confronted. There are issues for gay couples such as adopting children, living together, gaining health benefits, and fighting hate crimes.

Although some people may see being gay or lesbian as wrong and abnormal, it is the lifestyle some people choose to lead and it should not be anyone else’s business to tell those people how to live their lives. It is only out of ignorance that these opponents have such a strong stance against being gay and having equal rights. President Obama is quoted in the New York times as “opposing same-sex marriage as a Christian… but as a fierce advocate of equality for gay men and lesbians.” We all need to follow our President’s lead by putting out personal opinions aside for these issues and being advocates of equality first, because no matter what we do, as human beings we are all different in one way or another. We need to accept this, deal with it, and actively pursue equality for everyone!

*Video*
Ellen Degeneres & John McCain discuss Gay Marriage

1 comment:

  1. Laura Caso

    The article on gay marriage captured my attention, and I also wrote about gay rights in my opinion piece. It is unfair to exclude gay couples from making personal decisions, or force them to change their lives in order to be accepted. Although I am a heterosexual woman, I made a change within my life in order to support my loved ones who are homosexual. My cousin is a lesbian and was not able to receive communion at my Catholic Church. As a result, her immediate family now attends an Episcopal church. Since, I have attended many Episcopal masses with my cousin. I have taken an active role in the Episcopal Church and I have sung at numerous weddings there. As a result of the debate over gay and lesbian rights, I have questioned my faith. Do I want to follow a religion that excludes homosexuals from marriage and other rights that heterosexuals are given? I have asked myself this question many times, and although I continue to practice Catholicism, my views towards the religion have been altered.
    I believe it is unjust to exclude a homosexual from receiving communion, just as I believe it is wrong to exclude them from marriage. I agree with the idea that our country is moving towards a more accepting society; however, there is a long journey ahead. One site attached to this response included a map of various states fighting for gay unions. It is evident that those who are oppressed are fighting against such inequalities, but I feel it is the duty of everyone to fight for equality for homosexuals, bisexuals and heterosexuals.
    I watched the video featuring Ellen Degeneres and John McCain several times in order to examine McCain’s reaction to Ellen’s comments regarding gay marriage. It seems that McCain did not have a sufficient answer to Degeneres’s sarcastic comments. McCain is entitled to his opinion regarding same-sex marriage, however he overstepped the issue of equality and was not able to fully defend his stance. His opinion reveals an underlying idea that ignores equality for all citizens. As I stated in my opinion piece, this directly excludes the words regarding equality in the Constitution. The struggle for homosexuals to receive the right to marry one another makes me question our government. We supposedly live in a democratic society where citizens are able to live freely without a ruler dictating their life choices; but this is not the reality for homosexuals. Heterosexuals take their rights for granted. Those who are against equal rights for gay and lesbians must evaluate the disservice they are doing to homosexuals by denying them the right to solidify their marriage. If McCain were a homosexual, would he still hold the same viewpoint? I think not.
    I agree that there are unnecessary issues that gay and lesbian couples face. It is unreasonable that homosexual couples need to struggle to maintain equal status as heterosexuals. This is an issue that our government must work to change.

    ReplyDelete