Saturday, October 31, 2009

Race and the Educational System: An expectance of success

Annually my former high school-Miami Senior High- has had an awards assembly exclusively for the academically and athletically inclined. Students could only attend if they were personally invited. I received my invitation the last week of classes of my senior year. I received more awards and scholarships than any other student at this assembly. Throughout the day I was given congratulations especially from my African American peers. They told me things like: “Thanks for representing” and “You showed them that they not the only ones that can do well. We can do it too.” (Miami High was a predominantly white and Hispanic school) Upon graduation I was one of three individuals in my senior class who got accepted to the University of Miami. I was one of the 2 black students in the top 3% of the class and the only Haitian American.

I’m not proof that racism doesn’t exist, nor am I proof that the system is fine and minorities are just lazy. My experience is not analogous to the American ideal of Equal opportunity. I am an exception to the rule. I was lucky and was given opportunities and encouragement that several of my African American classmates didn’t have. And my back is heavy every day because of it.

Though no one sat me down and specifically told me what kind of society I lived in, I already knew. I was almost always the only Black student in all of my AP and honors classes, none of my teachers were black, and almost all of my African American friends were in regular classes. My school like my society told me that the odds were not stacked against me specifically but what I represent: A Black person living in white America. I was a surprise to my white classmates and a symbol of hope to my Black peers. I believe that there was always a level of expectancy placed upon me. I felt like I had to intellectually legitimize my entire race and fight against stereotypes I did not create nor perpetuate. I had to get it right the first time. I could not make any mistakes in the way I spoke. The odds were against me because of the misconceptions attached to the color of my skin.

I believe we must acknowledge that the makeup of our schools reflects that of societies. When blacks and Hispanics are disproportionately redlined into poorer neighborhoods, experience housing discrimination and live in a culture of violence, society perceive their circumstance s an indication of how much success a member in such group can attain. I think that it is difficult for minority students to move up in our educational system because they are not being encouraged to take AP and honors courses. This places minority students at a disadvantage when they apply for college. I believe that when the odds are placed against minority students, it makes it much more difficult to perform academically.


http://216.97.229.165/diverse/business/web/site3/article/6973/1.php

http://www.dailysentinel.com/news/content/news/stories/2009/10/14/NISD_GT_program_101409.html

Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQWP7fUSPJU

1 comment:

  1. third article:
    http://www.helium.com/items/337386-black-american-participation-in-ap-and-honor-level-classes

    ReplyDelete